• View Profile
books
« on: September 18, 2007, 05:06:53 PM »
books you've read.
books you're reading.
books you plan to read.
books you would suggest to others.
book reviews.
sharing what you've learned from a book.
favorite authors/phrases and whatnot.
favorite books.
books!
BoOkS!!
BOOKS!!!
 ;D

(or any other reading material i guess)

30N 0U7!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 11:55:57 PM by 30N 3NN1X »
30N 0U7!

Offline 30N 3NN1X

• Christ is Lord
    • View Profile
Re: books
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 10:09:50 AM »
currently reading:

Karen Hancock's-The Light of Eidon
and
L.A. Marzulli's-Nephilim

30N 0U7!
30N 0U7!

Offline Stephen

• head honcho
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 03:32:09 PM »
I don't get a lot of time to read, unfortunately. I've been reading snippets of The Bait of Satan by John Bevere; it's a book about offense, something I've really been tested on lately, especially in my workplace.

The last fiction book I read was Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson, and while I was disappointed at the abrupt ending, I really enjoyed it. Before that, it was Treasure Island and Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by the same author. Treasure Island I loved, Jekyll and Hyde not so much.

Offline JT X

• Doovd?
    • View Profile
    • Justified Type
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 09:54:04 PM »
Currently reading:

Body Piercing Saved My Life: Inside the Phenomenon of Christian Rock by Andrew Beaujon

The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

Truth for Life: A Devotional Commentary on the Epistle of James by John Blanchard

I have another book about DJing called Last Night, a DJ Saved My Life and another called Spam Kings, but they're in boxes somewhere. I started both of them, but I guess I'm not currently reading them. ;D
"...Computers are about trying to murder you in a lake."

Offline Kris Avalon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 10:05:35 PM »
books you've read: hundreds, possibly thousands

books you're reading: the god delusion by richard dawkins, the case for christ by lee strobel

books you plan to read: the collected works of hp lovecraft

books you would suggest to others: les miserables

book reviews: the great gatsby made me very emotional

sharing what you've learned from a book: giada de laurentiis has a killer recipe for marinara sauce

favorite authors/phrases and whatnot: dickens is my favorite author. a favorite quote would be from les mis, "Man has a body that is both his burden and his temptation. He ought to watch over it. Keep it in bounds, repress it, and obey it only as a last resort. It may be wrong to obey even then, but if so, the fault is venial. It is a fall, but a fall onto the knees, which may end in prayer," spoken by fantine. 

favorite books: Great Expectations, Les Miserables, Dubliners, Madame Bovary and of course the Harry Potter series.

Offline Stephen

• head honcho
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 11:12:26 AM »
Picked up The Hound of the Baskervilles and Robinson Crusoe yesterday from the library. The former because I love Sherlock Holmes mysteries and don't think I ever read this one, and the latter out of curiosity, because I found it on an 'if you like Robert Louis Stevenson, you'll like these books' list.

I've gotten over the reading-classics-because-they're-classics thing that my high-school teachers foisted on me way back when. If I read through a chapter or two and it still refuses to engage me, I don't waste time with it. Life's too short to suffer through boring books, 'classic' or otherwise. :)

Offline Kris Avalon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »

I've gotten over the reading-classics-because-they're-classics thing that my high-school teachers foisted on me way back when. If I read through a chapter or two and it still refuses to engage me, I don't waste time with it. Life's too short to suffer through boring books, 'classic' or otherwise. :)

Remarkably, some of us read them simply because we enjoy them, and don't find them boring in the slightest.  :)

Offline Stephen

• head honcho
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 06:55:09 PM »
Remarkably, some of us read them simply because we enjoy them, and don't find them boring in the slightest.  :)
(shrug) To each his own. I'm not demeaning every book that's popularly called a 'classic', just saying that not all of them are readily engaging to me. :) There are some books that I just can't get into.

Offline Dr. M

• Global Moderator
  • digital is 100% accurate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 07:57:46 PM »
Oddly enough I can pretty much enjoy almost anything I'm forced into reading. So far in my highschool career the only books I was forced to read that I really couldn't get into were Bless Me, Ultima (couldn't understand it) and Jane Eyre (didn't even finish it). Some of my favorite books I've ever read were ones that I was forced to read, The Catcher in the Rye, The Grapes of Wrath, Lord of the Flies. I like books that make me think and that have very graphic, fleshed-out characters, and both of those can usually be found in classics.

Honestly though I'm really good at enjoying things. I can enjoy almost anything.
Stick to me and I will stick to you
Kiss me and you'll see that I am made of honey

Offline Kris Avalon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 08:17:32 PM »
Oddly enough I can pretty much enjoy almost anything I'm forced into reading. So far in my highschool career the only books I was forced to read that I really couldn't get into were Bless Me, Ultima (couldn't understand it) and Jane Eyre (didn't even finish it). Some of my favorite books I've ever read were ones that I was forced to read, The Catcher in the Rye, The Grapes of Wrath, Lord of the Flies. I like books that make me think and that have very graphic, fleshed-out characters, and both of those can usually be found in classics.

Honestly though I'm really good at enjoying things. I can enjoy almost anything.

The Catcher in the Rye is a masterpiece that at times had me in tears, and I really enjoyed Lord of the Flies as well. The Grapes of Wrath I had a difficult time with, as Steinbeck really sought to illustrate the torture of a long and arduous journey by writing a very slow-paced and dry novel (complete with metaphors about turtles dragging slowly across a stretch of land). I can definitely appreciate the message behind that, but reading it from start to finish was not one of my favorite high school experiences. East of Eden is amazing though.

Offline Dr. M

• Global Moderator
  • digital is 100% accurate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 10:20:06 PM »
The Grapes of Wrath I had a difficult time with, as Steinbeck really sought to illustrate the torture of a long and arduous journey by writing a very slow-paced and dry novel (complete with metaphors about turtles dragging slowly across a stretch of land).

I hear that a lot and I know I don't need to defend it but I would like to explain why I love it. Honestly... I don't know. It was pretty slow definatly, but on the other hand the plot kept moving right along so there wasn't that much that was really boring. The characters were just very very interesting to me, especially the ex-preacher. I felt like it was a perfect portrait of an era. I didn't even know what the dust bowl was until I read it, and the whole concept is so evocative that I'd like to write a song about it some day. That image of the men of the town crouching down in the dust trying to decide what to do because they're all being evicted, the dust that they themselves have created, they brought this all on themselves, but you know it wasn't really their fault. It fascinated me.
Stick to me and I will stick to you
Kiss me and you'll see that I am made of honey

Offline Kris Avalon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 11:00:06 PM »

I hear that a lot and I know I don't need to defend it but I would like to explain why I love it. Honestly... I don't know. It was pretty slow definatly, but on the other hand the plot kept moving right along so there wasn't that much that was really boring. The characters were just very very interesting to me, especially the ex-preacher. I felt like it was a perfect portrait of an era. I didn't even know what the dust bowl was until I read it, and the whole concept is so evocative that I'd like to write a song about it some day. That image of the men of the town crouching down in the dust trying to decide what to do because they're all being evicted, the dust that they themselves have created, they brought this all on themselves, but you know it wasn't really their fault. It fascinated me.

It's undoubtedly a work of literary genius, and I certainly don't mean to try and take away from that.

Offline zoe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 07:26:09 AM »
I recently read Crime and Punishment and loved it. I am definitely going to look into reading something else by Dostoyevsky soon.

Offline Nikmis

• Nikmis is my last name backwards
    • View Profile
    • Nikmis's Music
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 11:21:07 AM »
Wierd, i just read the Grapes of Wrath! We missed that one in High School, and I felt the need to read it, as part of the old edumacation.

I have been reading the Flashman series for months now. requisite wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Paget_Flashman

Offline Stephen

• head honcho
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 01:15:36 PM »
Looks interesting. I started Hound of the Baskervilles this afternoon and am really enjoying it. I tried Robinson Crusoe and put it down after 33 pages, because the guy just does stupid boneheaded things that are just going to hurt him in the long run--over and over again. I just want to shout 'MORON!' at him. :) Of course it's just because it hits close to home, because I've done quite a few dumb things meself. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 01:17:59 PM by Stephen »