Author Topic: "the forum is almost non-existent and what can we do about it" post  (Read 1868 times)

Offline 30N 3NN1X

• Christ is Lord
    • View Profile
any suggestions to keep things going and interesting here, because it doesn't seem like it's been very active in this area of the internet universe for quite some time now?
30N 0U7!

Offline Dr. M

• Global Moderator
  • digital is 100% accurate
    • View Profile
Re: "the forum is almost non-existent and what can we do about it" post
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »
Most of the Ask Jon questions have over or almost 200 views! So there has to be a lot of lurkers on this forum right? It's not like every person who comes here reads each question a dozen times. I think internet forums in general aren't as popular as they used to be, but even if they are, Travelogue is a pretty small-time band, so if people don't come here to talk that much I don't think we should fret. To me, internet forums should be there when people need them, even if they don't need them all the time. When Jon releases something it's nice to have this here so we can talk about it. But if every member happens to post about their, you know, golfing interests and who-knows-what in other places, I don't see that as a huge deal.

This forum never really got the chance to develop it's own close-knit community like the JE board did, which is really the only reason it still gets as much traffic as it does. You happen to get the right mix of people passionate enough about the music, and they'll continue coming back just for all the other weirdos who also post there. Also, I might be wrong, but I don't think Travelogue has quite the same cult-like fanbase JE does, with folks who keep coming back to it as they age and new fans who keep discovering it. Which is sad, because Travelogue is honestly probably more deserving of it than JE, but JE was the one on T&N, playing all the big festivals, touring hard, at least in the earlier days. JE got put in everyone's local Christian bookstore, I even found Art and Craft at Borders once. Jon's never seemed interested in pursuing his music to that extent, though I still think that if he really wanted to he could find as much of a following as Ronnie if not more (much more, probably, especially with his newest music).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 10:02:41 PM by Dr. M »
Stick to me and I will stick to you
Kiss me and you'll see that I am made of honey