Author Topic: video games  (Read 45288 times)

Offline 30N 3NN1X

• Christ is Lord
    • View Profile
video games
« on: August 29, 2007, 11:18:18 PM »
video games you've played.
video games you're playing.
video games you want to play.
video games you would suggest to others.
video game reviews.
sharing what you got out of a video game.
favorite characters/genre's whatever.
favorite video games.
video games!
ViDeO gAmEs!!
VIDEO GAMES!!!

i just recently beat a game called "shadow of the colossus" for ps2.

basically the whole game you go around slaying these gigantic 40 to 60 foot giants.
you don't really get much of a story behind why, other than player speculation from the small amount of plot that is provided at only the beginning and ending of the game.

your character evidentally stole this sword that has some kind of special purpose to it, along with trespassing into a forbidden cursed land (where the game takes place), betraying the trust of his people, and eventually winding up the pawn of some kind of wicked sealed away entity known only as "dormin" (read it backwards folks; weird huh? my first thoughts were, someone was throwing the whole nephilim idea around here as well.)
anyways, the main reason your guy is breaking all these rules, is because there is supposedly some legend that you can resurrect someone who has died, in this land.
he has brought this dead girl, whom it is never revealed exactly how she is related to him, to this land in hopes of bringing her back to life.
but once you finally defeat all the "giants" you come to find out the Truth about your characters actions and what he has unleashed.

this game is the prequel to what i would say is a much better game, content wise anyways, titled "ico".
i'm afraid i can't support it, due to the fact that there is not really any redeeming quality to the game in the long run (unless of course you own or plan on playing the sequel (ico) afterwards).
i was very dissapointed to find i had played through the game thinking there would be some twist somewhere to turn things towards a much better turn out than feeling like you're anakin skywalker in revenge of the sith. (lol)

in the long run, my review would be--while slaying nephilim is very Rad, serving a demon "g"od will rot your soul, no matter what it promises you in the end.

if you do choose to play it or rent it, i would suggest that you just skip the story sequences (you aren't missing much anyways) and enjoy climbing up those giant beasts and showing them what for! :D
or play "ico" which is the sequel, where the redemptive aspect of the story finally does take place, even though you are a distant descendent of the main character in s.o.c..

30N 0U7!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 11:54:05 PM by 30N 3NN1X »
30N 0U7!

Offline Jon Sonnenberg

• View Profile
Re: played any games lately?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 11:29:52 PM »
I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!!!

When my Brother and his wife and baby were out here at the beginning of August, he brought this game with him and let me borrow it.  IT IS AMAZING... there are some places where the graphics have slight glitches, but for the most part they do such an amazing job of making something look so larger than life.

I am only on the 9th Colossus.

Offline 30N 3NN1X

• Christ is Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 11:39:19 PM »
wait until you reach #15, he is such a pain to defeat.
#16 is pretty tricky, but not as bad as 15.

p.s. do you know about the white tailed lizards and fruit trees?

30N 0U7!
30N 0U7!

Offline Jon Sonnenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 06:56:17 AM »
White tailed lizards?  Fruit trees?... not a clue?!

#8 took me a while, partly because my aim sucks with the bow, and partly because my speed was not quick enough and I kept getting shocked to death.

Offline 2nihon

• head honcho
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 08:00:01 AM »
I don't get to play games much, but my company did take us to Andretti (sorta like Dave and Busters) yesterday, and I got to race virtual stock cars at Richmond, rally cars in the desert, and street cars in the mountains of Japan. It was awesome. I love driving games. Used to love RPGs, but not so much now--the magic bothers me. (Just my opinion, not wanting to start a theological discussion or flame war.)

Offline 30N 3NN1X

• Christ is Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 11:03:47 AM »
first off, to jon: the white tailed lizards that can be found throughout the world, in certain locations, can increase your grip meter.
all you do is attack them with either bow and arrow, or sword, and you collect their tails by pressing the sword (held aloft) button while standing over them.

also throughout the world you can find fruit trees.
these trees' fruit can increase your health meter, so much so, that it pretty much spans the whole bottom of the screen (if you collect all of them).

here's a page revealing the locations of the white tails and fruit trees.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/924364/39759

fair warning, you will need a lot of time to work on this if you so choose to collect them all.
and they can be a tad frustrating at times to locate exactly.

here is a map for the game if you would like to see one. it reveals all the fruit tree locations as well as the colossi areas.

there are actually 2 fruit trees in location 1C, and one of the fruit trees at 5E is actually not in the marsh, but out in the plains at the southwest most point from the main temple where the mountain on the map makes a V formation.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/924364/39546

now in reply to stephen: i totally understand what you mean about the magic, stephen.
i am the same way on the subject.
i used to be big into final fantasy, but after part 8 came out i started feeling convicted about the whole magic aspect of the game, the false "g"ods (something that also has bothered me about this game), and summoning things.
also it just started to consume so much of my life that i just couldn't justify it in any of these areas any more.
so i don't play it anymore.

i haven't totally thrown out all rpg's, because i found out about a neat little tool called rpg maker.
i quickly became psyched about this (what rpg fan wouldn't) and bought one to see what you could do.
some wouldn't like it, and yes it does take a lot of time to work on it, but unlike other games since you make your own story and content, the game is only limited by your imagination.
you can also trade your games over the internet.
so i began working on a game concerning the very issue of magic (or witchcraft) and the downside of those who rely on it rather than the Lord.

i have played this one game by another Christian which was called "Tsebaoth:the warlike nature of He".
it takes place in an old testament styled world during the time period of king davids reign.
the whole game revolves around the power of the tongue (how the tongue has the power to bring life or death and speaking Blessings and curses) it also deals with Speaking things out in Faith and Believing in what has not yet come to pass as though it already is.
however it does stress the point that such things only work so far as they are in Alignment with the Will of the Lord and that you can't just say anything and you'll get it because you want it to be so.

30N 0U7!
30N 0U7!

Offline 2nihon

• head honcho
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 06:02:19 PM »
Jono sent me a link to a site that has lots of great, original, creative text-based games, but I can't find it now for the life of me. :(

Offline zoe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 06:19:25 PM »
Jono sent me a link to a site that has lots of great, original, creative text-based games, but I can't find it now for the life of me. :(

http://www.rinkworks.com/adventure/

These are absolutely hilarious. Whoever put them together had quite a sense of humor.

Offline 30N 3NN1X

• Christ is Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 07:53:54 PM »
being the mega man freak that i am, i have finally caught up where i left off way back before my old ps2 broke down last year (i bought a new one about 2 or 3 months back) and am now playing through mega man x 8.

one word describes this game so far.

H-A-R-D!!!

compared to it's predecessors, i am having quite a difficult time getting anywhere on it.
i'm gonna use some codes to get used to it and then back track and play it from scratch afterwards.
the graphics and story are good, but the difficulty was upped quite a bit.

30N 0U7!
30N 0U7!

Offline 2nihon

• head honcho
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 08:39:25 AM »
Yeah. One of the nice things about the rise of emulators is save states. My video game skills have basically dwindled to nothing since I haven't played regularly since I gave the PS1 to my little brother. :) One of my friends left a copy of ZSNES and Super Mario World on the laptop he gave me, so I was playing it over the weekend, to the great enjoyment of my older daughter (Sarah, 5y), who loves 'the little man riding on the turtle' (Mario and Yoshi). I had a really hard time with it, though, because you really need a SNES controller in order to fly and so forth--the laptop keyboard really is not a good game controller. I was thinking of getting a USB-to-SNES-controller adapter for that. :)

Anyway, save states...because my eye-hand coordination isn't as good as it used to be, I find that save states help me get through games easier without the frustration of 'I got to the last level and ran out of lives!' I hate that.

Offline zoe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 08:53:50 AM »
I got Sonic Heroes for computer sometime last November or December, for $.99, but I still haven’t completed it! I’ve gotten all A-ranks, but I can’t get the last emerald I need—the one in the mystic mansion level. Does anyone have any pointers for that level’s emerald?

Offline 2nihon

• head honcho
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 08:56:11 AM »
Haven't heard of that one, but 99 cents for a Sonic game is really good. The last Sonic game I owned for the PC (besides emulator games) was Sonic CD, and I really liked that one.

Offline 30N 3NN1X

• Christ is Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 04:29:09 PM »
Hopefully something here will help you jono.
i tried finding info on the emeralds, to send you just that, but i had other stuff going on at the same time that i had to tend to.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/920675.html

sorry i couldn't Help anymore than this, i only have "sonic mega collection plus" for ps2 which doesn't consist of sonic heroes, so i have no idea what happens in heroes.

30N 0U7!
30N 0U7!

Offline 30N 3NN1X

• Christ is Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 08:29:54 AM »
hey jon, have you gotten past the 9th colossus yet?

30N 0U7!
30N 0U7!

Offline Jon Sonnenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 10:17:23 AM »
I have not had much time to play, but I am on #11 now.  I really do enjoy that game.  Did you say there is a sequel?  Is it available for the PS2?